We are approaching the inevitable lists created at year’s end: The Top (fill in the blank) of 2014.
Today’s post is focused on some words that became part of the dictionary in 2014, particularly those words related to technology-which influences our lives more and more, especially in social media: hashtag: the symbol # that categorizes the accompanying text (like a tweet.) tweep: a person who uses the online Twitter message service to send and receive tweets. And finally our feature word for today-
“Selfie” impressed Oxford Dictionary editors after the frequency of its usage increased 17,000% in 2013. And now we KNOW it is a “real” word, because Scrabble has ordained “selfie” an acceptable word for the Scrabble board!
A few “quick stats” about selfies:
- Women take more selfies than men-duh?!
- Selfies in Russia contain the fewest smiles.
- Selfies from Sao Paulo are the happiest looking.
- Makati City, Philiphines is the “selfiest” city in the world.
- 23 is the average selfie taker.
- When comparing selfies taken by women and men, women are more likely to strike a pose-head tilt being the most popular. Again, duh?
- In an effort to look more like models, women pout their lips and actually look more like ducks.
- Not all selfies feature the face: The foot selfie lets everyone know you are chillaxing at the beach.
Here are some unique selfies:
Okay-isissies-let’s see them++-take a selfie and post it on our FB private page. I understand their are people who get obsessed and will take dozens, perhaps, hundreds, of selfies to get one that looks just right. There are directions online on how to get the PERFECT selfie-don’t make it that hard. I’m talking just hold the camera at arm’s length in the vicinity of your face (or feet) and click-and then share….
P.S. My spell correct did not get the memo that selfie is a word : )