As sisters, we have always tried to stay connected with each other, our two brothers and our extended family. Next week we are taking a trip of a lifetime – not to Paris – not to Greece or Rome, but to Walnut Ridge, Arkansas – the place where all 5 of us were born. Accompanying us on this road trip will be our 87-year-old mother. Talk about staying connected…
I have been thinking about all the things that are in place for this to be possible:
1. We love each other and our mother.
2. We work through issues – sometimes it is messy and not by the books but we get there.
3. We enjoy any time that we have together.
4. Family is important – going back to our roots together means a lot to us.
5. We try hard to assume the best intentions of each other – which helps us overlook each other’s faults.
We didn’t take family vacations growing up – there was no money. So here we are in our 60’s, 70’s and 80’s heading out on a family vacation that surely would make a great documentary.
Where were you born? Have you ever re-visited your roots!???